Episode 115: When the World Is Too Much
This episode is a little different. It’s basically a deep-dive episode, but it’s a little more off-the-cuff than usual. Given the multitude of troubling events in the US news today, I wanted to give some thoughts and advice about dealing with the news and the state of the world. It can be exceptionally hard for someone with mental health issues to know what to do when the state of the world becomes overwhelming. I hope the thoughts that I present here help.
Here are a few tips:
1. Realize that no matter WHEN you hear about news or how much you worry about the event… those have absolutely no bearing on the fact that the event happened. In other words, the events are happening whether or not you already know about them.
2. Regulate your flow of information. Consider waiting to “plug in” to the world until you’ve gotten ready for the day and consider unplugging for at least an hour before you go to sleep.
3. Fight back against the false sense of immediacy that anxiety gives you.
4. Remember that you are allowed to feel, but not taking care of yourself may limit your ability to help or make a difference.
5. Taking good care of yourself allows you to funnel energy into action, which can make you feel less helpless.
Quick update: HUGE giveaway going on right now at duffthepsych.com/giveaway